How I’ll beat Al-Makura toNasarawa gov ticket —Ex-chair APC
Source:Tribune

Mr Stanley Buba is
immediate past chairman of the Nasarawa State chapter of the All Progressives
Congress (APC).
In this interview with ADEMOLA ADEGBITE, he assesses Governor Tanko Al-Makura administration, the crisis in the party, among other issues.
In this interview with ADEMOLA ADEGBITE, he assesses Governor Tanko Al-Makura administration, the crisis in the party, among other issues.
Excerpts: Some believe you are the genesis of the internal wrangling in
Nasarawa APC which led to the defection of the state deputy governor,
Honourable Dameshi Barau to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
There are guidelines and
criteria for the appointment of interim chairman of the party. So, I was not
imposed by Governor Tanko Al-Makuraas, the state interim chairman then, as it
was erroneously perceived in some quarters.
The guidelines of the party were very clear. Governors were asked to be the chairmen of the parties at the
state level, but if they would not, they should nominate someone and send the
name to the party so that the it will now swear-in whoever was so nominated.
So, the position was given to Al-Makura based on the guidelines of the party.
He didn’t impose me on anybody.
He called me and said he
wanted to appoint me and asked if I wanted the position and of course I
accepted the offer. I also asked him why he chose me among thousands of party
faithful.
On the issue of the
deputy governor, I want anybody to show me any record, either in the newspapers or anywhere that he left APC
because of me. I have
listened to all his
interviews and I have never seen where he mentioned my name. He has always been mentioning irreconcilable differences between
him and Al-Makura. He has never mentioned my name that he left the party
because of me. So, I still stand to be corrected.
You and the deputy
governor are of different parties but from the same constituency. How do you
manage to relate with him? The relationship is very cordial because we are from
the same Akwanga Local Government Area of the state. We are political
associates and we meet from time to time.
He visits me and I do
visit him. What people don’t understand is that being members of different
political parties should not be a reason to become enemies. It is a matter of
ideology. Rather than pay back the kindness of Al-
Makura by making you APC
interim chair, you are after his job. Does this
mean he has not
delivered to your satisfaction?
He has tried his best,
but the issue of governance is not about trying or having good intention. You
must have the right strategy and method. You must possess good leadership
qualities to be able to achieve your objective. But unfortunately, Al-Makura does not have the right strategy because he is
surrounded by mediocrities, jesters and cabal. Even, if you look at the
leadership of the party, the difference is clear when I was there.
The party is not
functioning as expected. You will discover one thing about Al- Makura; whenever he says something, he ends up doing the opposite.
Most of the lieutenants working with him are of different opinions. There are
distinct leadership roles. A good leader must be able to assemble the right
team to work with to achieve his goals. Most executive roles are achieved
through the delegation of responsibility. If you don’t have the
right people to achieve
that, you will definitely fail. So, I have a better strategy than Al-Makura in
delivering the dividends of democracy based on the manifesto of our party to
the people of Nasarawa. So ,that is why I am contesting.
He should stop saying he
has a good intention; he must also have a right strategy to achieve. How do you intend to defeat a sitting governor during the
primaries of the APC and given the incumbency factor? Of course, everybody will state his
manifestoe and it is
left for delegates to choose under a free and fair primary. Even today, I will defeat Al-Makura. Pensioners are not paid; retirees’ gratuities are not paid; past political office holders
still have their entitlements hanging and workers’ promotions are not implemented.
It has clearly showed
that poverty is in the increase in the state. After three and a half years, Al-Makura said he is
giving scholarship. Someone who is studying in the University of Lagos should
come to Lafia, the state capital,
to collect a scholarship
of N10,000. From Lagos to Lafia is almost
N6,000. Is that a scholarship? I don’t see any sense in that.
Even, the Automated
Teller Machine (ATM)
cards given to these students, some of them are not
working. This is lack of
right team I am talking about.
He talks about free
education, majority of parents and guardian are still sending food to their
wards in government boarding schools. Principals do not have money to run the
affairs of the schools.
You cannot differentiate
between principal and teachers. Both the workers and the people need economic
empowerment to enable them survive. Why must he go for second term to complete
your projects, if truly he has good intention for the people? When I was the
chairman of Akwanga Local Government, I completed all my projects according to
specification, without thinking of second term. So, Al- Makura must be replaced in 2015 and I believe I have better
chances to defeat him under free, fair and credible primary.
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Please Feel free to Comment